Originally posted July 12, 2012. Revised May 2015 and March 2016.
This soup has all the flavors I love because they remind me of home. Although I wasn’t much of a soup-girl growing up, I soon became a fan once I left home and started making my own. After searching for the perfect chicken tortilla soup recipe, I decided to go ahead and create my own. Although the ingredient list may appear long and intimidating, it’s really the seasonings and added “toppers” that lengthen it. Nothing fancy going on here, just a great use of a combination of fresh ingredients and pantry staples. This is quick to make and tastes delicious!
Christy's Quick Tortilla Soup
Recipe by Christy Wilson
Prep 10-15 min
Cook 20 min
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional
- 1, 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 Roma or vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped and smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth (low sodium preferred)
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded (I use store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1/3 cup (or more) fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Soup Toppers (per serving)
- 1 tablespoon avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- Canola oil spray
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, jalapeño, tomato, green chili and sauté for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and stir to combine ingredients.
- Add tomato paste to the pot and allow the paste to melt into the other ingredients for about one minute. Add cumin, coriander and oregano and stir to combine.
- Increase heat and add broth then add chicken. Bring soup to a boil then simmer for about 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir well. Remove soup from heat and cover to keep warm.
- To prepare tortilla strips, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stack 3 corn tortillas and slice into 1/2 inch wide strips. Repeat process. Lay strips on a foil lined baking sheet, spray with canola oil and place them into oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Be careful not to burn the strips!
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with baked tortilla strips and optional toppers including avocado, sour cream or yogurt, extra lime juice and (my favorite) more cilantro!
Nutrition facts per serving (excludes optional soup toppers)
Calories: 204, Calories from fat: 72; Total fat: 8gr; Saturated fat: 2gr; Trans fat: 0 gr; Cholesterol: 79mg; Sodium: 630mg; Total Carbohydrates: 8gr;
Dietary fiber: 1.5 gr; Sugar: 3 gr; Protein: 26 gr; Vitamin A: 10%; Vitamin C: 20%; Iron: 8%; Calcium: 5%
My first photos of this recipe above...taken on my ipad. I've upgraded since then!
¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!