Fruit is a staple item in my diet. I eat it every morning and I alway pack a serving or two in my lunch bag that I take to work. Preparing healthy meals and snacks for myself, including this Citrus Salad with Honey Mint Lime Syrup, not only helps me stay on track with my diet during the week, it helps cut cravings for other sweet foods and treats that are in abundance at work (especially right now!) and at home (oh, the aftermath of trick-or-treating on Halloween with my kiddos!). The combination of citrus fruits with this simple honey mint lime syrup adds a delicate sweetness that makes it extra special when compared with plain fruit.
Now that we are in the middle of flu season, it's important to keep our immune system strong. Citrus fruits are packed with immune boosting vitamin C, and they are a good source of fiber, they are low in calories and naturally low in sugar. This salad is not only a fun way to prepare this seasonal variety of fruits, it makes for a perfect healthy snack while you're on-the-go!
This recipe was originally developed for the National Honey Board can can be found on their website.
Citrus Fruit Salad with Honey Mint Lime Syrup
For the salad
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 white grapefruit
- 2 pink or red grapefruits
For the syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup fresh tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mint, loosely packed, chopped. Use additional mint for garnish, if desired
- Cut and peel white pith of oranges and grapefruits. Cut between membranes to release segments and add all fruit to a large bowl. (Can prepare this a day ahead of time and refrigerate.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk honey, lime juice and mint together. Pour honey mint syrup over prepared fruit and toss gently until all fruit is combined and coated.
- Let citrus salad stand for about 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with mint before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (½ cup):
Calories: 90 ; Total Fat: 0g (Sat 0g, Trans 0g); Sodium: 0 mg; Total Carbohydrates: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 18g; Protein: 1g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 80%; Iron 0%