*Full disclosure: I am a proud partner with Unilever's Agents of Change program. Unilever provided me with coupons to purchase Hellmann’s®/ Best Foods® Mayonnaise, but the views and opinions expressed in this post are completely my own.
Many of my fondest childhood memories include food and family. Throughout my childhood, my family and I would walk across the international border between the sister cities, Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora, Mexico for any number of reasons. We'd go there to grocery shop, attend church service, or to shop for jewelry, blankets, candy or toys. Most of the time we'd simply walk "across the line" to eat some of our favorite foods like mixed seafood cocktail (campechana), ceviche tostadas, street tacos or elotes (Mexican style grilled corn on the co). Going there wasn't just about eating a meal as much as it was about embracing and enjoying the experience, including the people, the environment and the energy.
It’s difficult for me to choose a single favorite food or meal from across the border, but I do have a special place in my heart for Mexican street corn. Since I don’t always have the time or ability to prepare, I figured out a way to recreate a version of it in my kitchen so that I can enjoy it any day of the week. In about 20 minutes, I can sear-up a bag of frozen sweet corn in a skillet, drizzle some of my Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise Chile Mayo Sauce over it, then top it off with cilantro and salty Cotija cheese! YUM!
The sauce is what makes this recipe extra special! I only use Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise because, besides its great flavor, it’s made with real, whole food ingredients, many of which are sourced from trusted American farms, and it’s super easy to find at my local grocery store. I love that this mayo is made with cage-free eggs (at least 50%) and is committed to responsibly sourced plant-based oils that are primarily unsaturated (mono and polyunsaturated fatty acids). In general, the nutritional quality of our diet improves when we substitute plant-based oils for solid fats (especially animal fats like bacon fat and lard). Best part? Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise makes my Mexican Skillet Street Corn taste even BETTER, which means my kids devour it (Mom win)! This dish is fantastic when served alongside grilled fish, chicken tacos or beef steaks.
Corn may be a classic summertime food, but I use frozen corn so that I can make this recipe all year long! Corn is a versatile, budget friendly, whole grain food that provides about 10% of our daily recommended intake of both Vitamin C and magnesium.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do!
Mexican Skillet Street Corn with Hellmann's® Real MAYONNAISE Chile Sauce
Created for Unilever using Hellmann’s®/Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
Author: Christy Wilson, RDN
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 16-ounce bag frozen corn
- ½ tablespoon buttery spread (ie. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter®)
For Chile Mayo Sauce
- ¼ Hellmann’s®/Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground chile powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus ½ tablespoon for topping
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese (can substitute with feta cheese)
- Melt ½ tablespoon of buttery spread in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat pan. Add corn and cook until it begins to brown. Cook and stir until most of the kernels are brown and fragrant (like popcorn), about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine Hellmann's®/Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, hot sauce, chile powder and 1 tablespoon lime juice, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over cooked corn.
- Top corn with cilantro, Cotija cheese, and remaining 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.