Full disclosure: I am working as a paid spokesperson for Kikkoman on their campaign during Hispanic Heritage Month. My recipes and photos featuring Kikkoman Soy Sauce were sponsored, however the views, opinions and enjoyment of the products expressed in this post are completely my own!
Of all foods, tacos are one of my favorite. Just about any marinated meat or seafood, combined with some crunchy fresh vegetables, all wrapped in warm tortillas brings me happiness! My recipe for Soy Cilantro Shrimp Tacos, in particular, is extra special because it combines two of my favorite cuisines in one dish: Asian and Latino.
Some people may be surprised to know that even though I grew up in a small town that sits right on the border of southern Arizona and the northern Mexican state of Sonora, I was exposed to this delicious fusion of Asian and Hispanic foods. We used soy sauce a lot, and my mom (who was always so creative in the kitchen!) would often mix the two cuisines together. Soy sauce, with its salty, umami flavor, added a special twist to grilled meats and seafood that we’d eat along with Mexican rice, coleslaw and refried beans. Fresh key lime juice, cilantro and cabbage are a few of the many crossover ingredients found in both Asian and Hispanic cuisines that I recall eating all the time as a kid.
In my Soy Cilantro Shrimp Tacos recipe, I bring all of those flavors, colors and spirit into this dish! Using a marinade of Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce, cilantro, lime juice, fresh ginger, garlic and Kikkoman Sesame Oil, infuses the shrimp with a bright yet savory flavor. Plated with crunchy cabbage and carrots, creamy avocado, extra cilantro and wrapped in warm corn tortillas makes for a quick and delicious meal that is perfect for your next family dinner. When cooking for my family, I always try to cook healthier options. One health highlight of these Soy Cilantro Shrimp Tacos? By using Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce in place of regular soy sauce, the sodium content is slashed by more than half without sacrificing the special soy sauce flavor we all love!
Enjoy, or as we say at home, buen provecho!
Soy Cilantro Shrimp Tacos
Recipe by: Christy Wilson, RD
Servings: 8 tacos
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
For marinated shrimp:
- ¼ cup Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman Sesame Oil
- ¼ teaspoon finely grated ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, diced
- lime wedges
- Combine all marinade ingredients (except shrimp) in a large zip-top bag or medium bowl.
- Stir in shrimp and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Over medium-high heat, bring ¼ cup of marinade to a boil for a minute, then add shrimp. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque.
- To a warmed corn tortilla, add cabbage, carrot, cilantro, avocado and 4-6 shrimp. Top with extra lime juice, if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving: 1 taco
Calories: 120, Total fat: 2 grams; Saturated fat: 0 grams; Trans fat: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 115 grams; Sodium: 250 milligrams: Total Carbohydrate: 10 grams; Dietary fiber: 1 gram; Sugar: 1 gram; Protein: 16 grams; Vitamin A: 25%; Vitamin C: 15%; Calcium: 4%; Iron: 8%